I’m Raymond Toh, working in the game industry in Singapore since 2003. I have worked in a variety of companies, including Ubisoft Singapore, Nubee and Konami. My career progression has led me through a variety of roles, from game artist, level designer, to game designer.
- Ability to bring a game from concept to release. ( 3 released mobile game, Davinci’s Quest, Monstar Fishing, Chains of Souls)
- Able to design new, innovative game play mechanics, proven with 3 released products.
- Able to write design documents for team communication and as development road map.
- Create Data design and system for balancing.
- Able to collect play test feedback for analysis and adapt design and balance for best game play experience.
- Knowledge of psychological concepts and application to game design.
- Detailing of UI and game flow for game needs.
- Understands fully the roles, responsibility and stresses of a game designer and how important it is to a game company and the team.
- Always willing to learn.
SOFTWARE USED : Microsoft Word, Openoffice Draw, My Trusty Notebook!
- Specialize in thinking out of the box to create unique and innovative game mechanics using mind-mapping and sketching.
- Microsoft word and open office draw for documentation
- Able to create design documentation to communicate and study ideas with team members
GAME PROTOTYPING AND IDEAS GENERATION
SOFTWARE USED : Unity3d, Construct2
- Prototype designing with emphasize on core mechanics to put the “fun” to test in the shortest and most cost effective way, without bloating the prototype.
- Able to lead brainstorming sessions to lead team members to come up with more “brain farts” that could potentially lead to better designs.
- Understands the need to design, feedback and iterate designs again to get the most fun.
- Understands that the iteration process has to stop at the right time.
- Understands the relationship between data and game mechanics, and the parameters to use.
- Follows a data driven process where game mechanics be fine tuned by data for quick reviews for “feel” and iterations.
SOFTWARE USED : Microsoft Excel, Openoffice Spreadsheet, Tortise SVN, Github
- Emphasize on “feel” and testing to get the most out of the data
- Understands the importance of data to game feel and fun
- more artistically inclined thus emphasize “feel” more than hard numbers.
- able to use Microsoft excel and open office spreadsheet for data balancing
- not a mathematical expert, but understands the use of mathematical formulas and able to modify them to get the curves I want. using charts to visualize data progression
- designing data balancing strategies to balance the mechanics.
- data design to bring out the best in the game play systems
LEVEL DESIGN EXPERIENCE
SOFTWARE USED : 3DSMax, Anvil
- Design spaces for game play purposes (Assassin’s Creed and Prince of Persia)
- Understanding the importance of 3C’s
- Directing of Player’s game play so they do not get “lost”
- Adapting cameras so that Players have natural, fluid control as controls are tightly integrated with the camera’s direction.
- Create memorable “free-running” experience with standard level design ingredients. Executed by placing Players in different types of exciting environment.
- Experience with modular level design methodology for improve workflow and production efficiency.
ART RELATED EXPERIENCE
SOFTWARE USED : 3DSMax, Photoshop, Adobe Premier
- Knowledge of 3D modeling with 3D Studio Max for Level design and Assets creation.
- Video Editing and rendering for Anomaly Racing’s Promo Video